Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Cove/IntraIP/VentraIP Exposed??
    G'day all,

Stumbled across a thread on Whirlpool about this mob last night but it got closed pretty quickly and this was exposed:

http://xisexpose.blogspot.com/2010/03/truth.html

Is it true? Is Cheyne Jonstone really Shane Craig from the XiS scam and should we be worried??

Look forward to hearing your thoughts

14 years and going strong Hostpac's Avatar
    Re: Cove/IntraIP/VentraIP Exposed??
    The WP thread was a mockery as indicated by the sheer number of deleted posts. Baited up for trolls who bit and went into a feeding frenzy.

In the absence of verified proof that Craig and Johnstone are one and the same the blog is based on pure speculation and, perhaps, coincidence.

As this is your first post here I am left to ponder who you are, who is WE you refer to, and your agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by Hostpac View Post
    In the absence of verified proof that Craig and Johnstone are one and the same the blog is based on pure speculation and, perhaps, coincidence.
    It is information that is freely available as anyone can run a company search. I don't see much point in taking a defensive stance, purely on the basis a new user posted the link.

All that aside, I doubt anyone who has had dealings with Cove / [Insert flavour of the week here] will be surprised by this.
    Inticon Pty Ltd
    Nationwide Local Call. 1300 662 448
    Web. http://www.inticon.com.au

14 years and going strong Hostpac's Avatar
    Upfront I am not defending Cove/VentraIP but just stating that because Craig and Johnstone both appear on the ABN and, surprisingly, share the same date and place of birth still doesn't prove they are one and the same. Perhaps one method for positive proof would require shelling out for copies of birth certificates ? Hence an interesting blog but still speculation.

My reference to first poster stems from years of viewing threads at WP where the frequency of first posts becoming flame wars is freakish.

The OP asked for my thoughts and he/she got them.

Cheers

Doesn't everyone deserve a second chance?

Anyone who runs a sizable self-funded hosting/telecommunications business understands the complexities of cashflow and risk management.

A lot of you here are business owners, but there's a stark difference between renting a few dedicated servers/coloing a few boxes and owning/managing a substantial amount of infrastructure: serious amounts of money change hands ($10k+/month) and it's not something you can bootstrap out of your paycheque. It's easy to **** away investors money with little regard for the consequence, but when you realize that your own earning capacity is less than your total outgoings, you start to seriously think about the way you approach opportunities and alliances.

I have made some atrocious business decisions, the worst of which I made when I was Shane's age. These aren't things taught in business school, these are lessons learned only from experience (read: from making mistakes). Some of us learn the hard way, some of us learn harder than others. The reality is, a single poor decision can totally ruin a startup in bootstrap: this isn't speculation, it is reality.

I am not defending Shane's actions, nor do I endorse his approach - what I am trying to say is that it is difficult to pass judgment on the situation without having been there yourself. There have been occasions where SONET has come dangerously close to filing for voluntary administration - thankfully, these days have passed, but what small business has never had cashflow problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Hostpac View Post
    Perhaps one method for positive proof would require shelling out for copies of birth certificates ?
    Birth certificates (In NSW at least) can only be issued to those who are listed on the certificate, or a solicitor acting on behalf of a client with a genuine legal need for the certificate.

While I agree that people deserve a second chance, you could come to the conclusion that this is a bit extreme. Of course looking at the mess left by XIS, I can't say that the name change wouldn't be justifiable. A name change is going to mean diddly squat if the behavior is the same though.

Unfortunately, regardless of any truth in the allegations there are clear similarities. You don't need to have had a relationship with them to see that.

At the end of the day, who really cares. If it is true - its just another reason the hosting industry in Australia is a joke.
    Inticon Pty Ltd
    Nationwide Local Call. 1300 662 448
    Web. http://www.inticon.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by ChaneyCraig View Post
    If you have to change your name there is something very shady going on. Would you trust your business to someone who has already cut and run?
    As I said, I don't endorse Shane's approach, I am merely observing the realities of the telecommunications/hosting industry in Australia.

There's a fantastic article by Brad Field (Have You Ever Failed?), the managing director of Foundry Group (an angel investor/VC firm in the US), about investment during the .com era.

A quote that has resounded with me is:

I used to say something like one of the great things about America is that failure is acceptable. When great people fail, they acknowledge it, learn from it, get up, dust themselves off, and get back at it. If you accept reality, you can fail gracefully and hopefully learn something from it. Its never fun and it can be really stressful / painful / emotionally hard but its a part of learning, evolving, and growing stronger and better.
    Whilst there's no doubt that the director of a business has the most influence as to its direction, that person is NOT the business: they are separate entities with their own ideas, ideals and approaches. Would I purchase services off Shane Craig? Probably not. Would I purchase services off VentraIP? If it was the most suitable product for my business, then I would be doing my shareholders a disservice to let my own personal prejudice cloud a decision in the best interests of the company.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    While I agree that people deserve a second chance, you could come to the conclusion that this is a bit extreme. Of course looking at the mess left by XIS, I can't say that the name change wouldn't be justifiable. A name change is going to mean diddly squat if the behavior is the same though.
    This is the fundamental crux of the argument: personal agendas aside (and no offense to Chyene here, but you've ****ed off a lot of people), is VentaIP the same company as XiS? That is a question that only they can answer, but customer-facing anecdotal evidence suggests otherwise.

Please don't misconstrue my position: I am not attempting to defend Cheyne or VentraIP, this is just a topic which is very dear to me. When dealing with matters like this, it is very easy to be swayed by the public opinion.

Anyone with management experience will understand how difficult it can be to make business decisions which are not congruent with your own personal agenda/beliefs. Choosing strategies based on your own personal emotion rather than the evidence in hand is one of the many challenges of running your own business.

Web developer
    For someone like me, who has no idea what is going on, this is playing out like a episode of 24.

Cooking? Traderecipes.net perlboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    For someone like me, who has no idea what is going on, this is playing out like a episode of 24.
    Likewise and I can't help but call out: TROLL

ChaneyCraig

So, you registered here and ONLY posted in this thread with an antagonistic username.

I'd give a sh*t if:
    a) I cared about the background behind someones previous business since overall I've yet to see any particularly bad business practices from Cove Inc.
    b) You were actually participating in other threads rather then just getting on your high horse about integrity and deception.

Everyone makes mistakes, at least Cheyne had enough balls to admit it in public when probed. Maybe ChaneyCraig can actually outline who he/she is but I'm not holding my breath.

Stu
    Something big is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Lars-HM View Post
    Is it true? Is Cheyne Jonstone really Shane Craig from the XiS scam and should we be worried??
    I saw this earlier today before the majority of the threads were closed and the entire thread deleted. It is quite alarming/surprising.

I do find it concerning in a way - I have seen some interesting remarks on Google about certain people making certain accusations toward certain people, and certain people making certain threats against other hosting companies.

What actually happened to XiS in summary? Bankrupt? Poor management?

Web developer
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaneyCraig View Post
    In a nutshell Gerry we have 2 people who have a long line of enemies. Everyone has just found out that those two people are actually one. The pressure put on by those enemies has resulted in said person outing themselves.

The knifes are out for a reason.

We are more than satified now with the outcome however. Power to the Internet and the Truth!
    No, we have a person looking for dirt on someone for some unknown gains. Either you was a customer of XIS and lost money (which still doesn't explain why you waited 8 years) or you are a hater going after VentraIP for unknown reasons. I believe it is the latter.

You really need to make your reasons known and stop hiding behind anonymity before you get any support from me.

Also you not actually exposing this if this information was a search away on a public business and company database.

Neural Networks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    Also you not actually exposing this if this information was a search away on a public business and company database.
    One must first know what they are looking for before it can be found.
    Brendan Welsh

Yes, but the level of customer service is a little too good for a provider that would be set-out to scam people.
    Last edited by Chaddy; 20-03-2010 at 09:26 PM.
    CPK Web Services
    The one solution
    Get in touch www.cpkws.com.au/contact.php