Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    8
    Who is responsible for domain transfers?
    Hi, I wonder if someone could help me understand the domain transfer process properly?

    If one is initiating a domain transfer for a .com is the email to agree the transfer sent to the registered owner of the domain or the admin/technical contact?

    If the domain then drops because the link in the email wasn't clicked, then who is responsible?:
    * The webmaster who initiated the transfer
    * The owner who should have clicked on the link (if it was sent to them)
    * The registrars whom the transfers are between
    * Someone else

  2. #2
    Registered Provider Webolution's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Newcastle NSW
    Posts
    590
    Quote Originally Posted by gibson View Post
    If one is initiating a domain transfer for a .com is the email to agree the transfer sent to the registered owner of the domain or the admin/technical contact?
    The registrant only.

    Quote Originally Posted by gibson View Post
    If the domain then drops because the link in the email wasn't clicked, then who is responsible?
    The existing owner/registrant IMO.

    Cheers,
    Joel

  3. #3
    it has to be the existing owner as he/she has the final confirmation to push the transfer through. Correct?

  4. #4
    normally its the registrant that is domain owner who have access to primary email ID of the domain admin contact so if he/she miss the approval mail or do not click the URL he/she receive in it then the transfer process will not initiate.
    If registrant do not receive approval email then he/she needs to check if that mail was delivered into junk mail folder or rejected due to any filters set. You can registrar to resend that mail if you miss it.

  5. #5
    Conetix - Cloud Provider CNX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    10
    A lot of web developers who register the domains on behalf of their clients use their email as a contact email. You need to check the Owner/Registrant email address and that it is infact a valid address and or an address the client can access.
    There are a lot of tools that can do a dig on contact emails (with exception to those that are protected via privacy option).

    Ultimately as outlined by others the responsibility is with the Owner/Registrant.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by CNX View Post
    A lot of web developers who register the domains on behalf of their clients use their email as a contact email. You need to check the Owner/Registrant email address and that it is infact a valid address and or an address the client can access.
    There are a lot of tools that can do a dig on contact emails (with exception to those that are protected via privacy option).

    Ultimately as outlined by others the responsibility is with the Owner/Registrant.
    To avoid any problems with the owners not completing the regsitration process, i always set the email to myself. If the owner wasnt requiring this...they would not be getting me to register the domain name on their behalf in the first place!

  7. #7
    Registered User lomeydecos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Mumbai
    Posts
    14
    Thumbs up web hosting talk
    Quote Originally Posted by gibson View Post
    Hi, I wonder if someone could help me understand the domain transfer process properly?

    If one is initiating a domain transfer for a .com is the email to agree the transfer sent to the registered owner of the domain or the admin/technical contact?

    If the domain then drops because the link in the email wasn't clicked, then who is responsible?:
    * The webmaster who initiated the transfer
    * The owner who should have clicked on the link (if it was sent to them)
    * The registrars whom the transfers are between
    * Someone else
    1. why was it not clicked?, it is a sensitive matter, better make arrangements by proper communication to click.
    2. if not clicked communicate for clicking immediately, do not make it complicated.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Asia
    Posts
    4
    The existent owner is responsible for all the domain transfers.

Similar Threads

  1. SAN failed - who's responsible
    By anwark_khalil in forum Web Hosting Australia
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-08-2011, 01:34 PM
  2. Looking for Hiring honest, responsible manager in australia
    By Alexishost in forum Australian Related Offers and Requests
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 29-12-2010, 11:34 AM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-05-2008, 09:48 PM
  4. Renewal cutoff date for transfers
    By aarondwyer in forum Domain Names
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 13-01-2006, 02:13 PM
  5. 1GB Space, 12GB Transfers, $9AU/Month
    By nanabite in forum Australian Related Offers and Requests
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-07-2003, 07:39 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •