Who is responsible for domain transfers?
    Hi, I wonder if someone could help me understand the domain transfer process properly?

If one is initiating a domain transfer for a .com is the email to agree the transfer sent to the registered owner of the domain or the admin/technical contact?

If the domain then drops because the link in the email wasn't clicked, then who is responsible?:
    * The webmaster who initiated the transfer
    * The owner who should have clicked on the link (if it was sent to them)
    * The registrars whom the transfers are between
    * Someone else

Quote Originally Posted by gibson View Post
    If one is initiating a domain transfer for a .com is the email to agree the transfer sent to the registered owner of the domain or the admin/technical contact?
    The registrant only.

If the domain then drops because the link in the email wasn't clicked, then who is responsible?
    The existing owner/registrant IMO.

Cheers,
    Joel

it has to be the existing owner as he/she has the final confirmation to push the transfer through. Correct?

normally its the registrant that is domain owner who have access to primary email ID of the domain admin contact so if he/she miss the approval mail or do not click the URL he/she receive in it then the transfer process will not initiate.
    If registrant do not receive approval email then he/she needs to check if that mail was delivered into junk mail folder or rejected due to any filters set. You can registrar to resend that mail if you miss it.

A lot of web developers who register the domains on behalf of their clients use their email as a contact email. You need to check the Owner/Registrant email address and that it is infact a valid address and or an address the client can access.
    There are a lot of tools that can do a dig on contact emails (with exception to those that are protected via privacy option).

Ultimately as outlined by others the responsibility is with the Owner/Registrant.

Quote Originally Posted by CNX View Post
    A lot of web developers who register the domains on behalf of their clients use their email as a contact email. You need to check the Owner/Registrant email address and that it is infact a valid address and or an address the client can access.
    There are a lot of tools that can do a dig on contact emails (with exception to those that are protected via privacy option).

Ultimately as outlined by others the responsibility is with the Owner/Registrant.
    To avoid any problems with the owners not completing the regsitration process, i always set the email to myself. If the owner wasnt requiring this...they would not be getting me to register the domain name on their behalf in the first place!

Thumbs up web hosting talk
    Hi, I wonder if someone could help me understand the domain transfer process properly?

If the domain then drops because the link in the email wasn't clicked, then who is responsible?:
    * The webmaster who initiated the transfer
    * The owner who should have clicked on the link (if it was sent to them)
    * The registrars whom the transfers are between
    * Someone else
    1. why was it not clicked?, it is a sensitive matter, better make arrangements by proper communication to click.
    2. if not clicked communicate for clicking immediately, do not make it complicated.

The existent owner is responsible for all the domain transfers.