How to deal with hosting company
    Hi Guys,

I have a client who has a website that was made by a company a few years ago and they provide the hosting. I want to move from their current hosting provider over to a new vps.

The company that made the site a few years ago, Client doesn't use them anymore for building the website or SEO Work. The company that built the site uses an External Hosting Provider which I have seen an email won't even let them have access to the control panels.

I asked the otherday for the Login Details to the hosting control panel so I can take a backup of the site and MySQL database.

The external hosting provider has let me know they don't provide those details for cpanel to customers. I have been nice and asked them to put a link to a site so I can download the files and MySQL database if they aren't going to give me the login details.

I haven't told them yet we are not going to renew the hosting with them as I want the site first.

What steps do we have to get them to provide us the site. The client has never had access to ftp, control panel. Only the cms login.

Their is no contract between the client. They are just making it very difficult

Matthew
    Last edited by matt001; 22-04-2014 at 09:03 PM.
    Matthew - A+ Certified PC Technician

It's quite possible that the reason the company doesn't supply those details, is that your customer does not own the software which hosts their site.

Back in the day (I'm talking 1996-2003), it was very common for a customer not to want to pay for a full CMS build, so we would give them a hosted CMS using software we had developed in-house.. In this instance, the customer simply had a CMS login. If they wanted to move to another provider, then they needed to have a company build them a new website and manually copy the content over. (We used to do an export to flat HTML files for a fee if required - usually cost a couple of hours of someone's time..)

Before you start accusing the host of being 'difficult', I'd check with the client what they actually paid for - If the customer only has access to a CMS login (and that's all they paid for originally), then you don't want the only people who can do a data export for you, to end up off-side

Or they might just be being dicks. But I thought it was worth pointing out. We still have a lot of clients using that old CMS, and at least once a year a new design company pops up and goes 'OMG WHY CAN WE NOT HAVE FTP ACCESS!!', and it takes quite a lot of explaining that the customer paid for setup *in our CMS*, and does not own the software powering their site. It usually ends up with the company being happy to build the customer a template which works with our CMS, but occasionally there's one who just doesn't understand how things were when the internet in .au started, and expects us to hand over proprietary source code.

Wow, and that was way more than I was planning to type

Registered Provider
    Quote Originally Posted by Rendrag View Post
    It's quite possible that the reason the company doesn't supply those details, is that your customer does not own the software which hosts their site.

Back in the day (I'm talking 1996-2003), it was very common for a customer not to want to pay for a full CMS build, so we would give them a hosted CMS using software we had developed in-house.. In this instance, the customer simply had a CMS login. If they wanted to move to another provider, then they needed to have a company build them a new website and manually copy the content over. (We used to do an export to flat HTML files for a fee if required - usually cost a couple of hours of someone's time..)

Before you start accusing the host of being 'difficult', I'd check with the client what they actually paid for - If the customer only has access to a CMS login (and that's all they paid for originally), then you don't want the only people who can do a data export for you, to end up off-side

Or they might just be being dicks. But I thought it was worth pointing out. We still have a lot of clients using that old CMS, and at least once a year a new design company pops up and goes 'OMG WHY CAN WE NOT HAVE FTP ACCESS!!', and it takes quite a lot of explaining that the customer paid for setup *in our CMS*, and does not own the software powering their site. It usually ends up with the company being happy to build the customer a template which works with our CMS, but occasionally there's one who just doesn't understand how things were when the internet in .au started, and expects us to hand over proprietary source code.

you might be right.... I have seen a few places now (in 2013) where its a DIY CMS solution, that is so simple to create a site, and it appeals to "designers" who create sites for clients but they can never get back access and sites are permanently locked in to the hosting platform.

I guess as more people start working online, designers building a website that will be locked will become more and more common.
    Today is international no sig day

Quote Originally Posted by Rendrag View Post

He's dead right. I have come across clients that have gone ahead with a web design only to realise they actually don't own the rights to the site, therefore locked into a "contract" as such with that provider, becomes perpetual money for that provider. Check with your client to see what they have paid for, what they own and their rights in terms to the design.