DNS - Nightmare!!!!
    Ok so I'm only learning, lets get that part clear but I have a issue I just cant get my head around, It's likely staring me in the face but I'll be buggered if I can wrap my head around it.

The issue is the following:

1 VPS Cpanel on VPS License - server1.domain.com
    1 VPS Cpanel on DNS Only - ns.domain2.com

Now I understand the process of clustering and how to do it, what I dont get is what now?

How does the server1.domain.com server know which nameserver to use? it's dosent show up in the list of name servers under NS Record Report, do I need to edit the A record or something?

Also adding another server to the cluster would I use the nameservers of the DNS only server and the first VPS "server1" or would I need to add yet another DNS only VPS to have my DNS completely redundant?

If someone could explain the process a little more indepth I'd be very grateful, all the tutorials on the web only explain how to actually setup clustering nothing else.

Cheers muchly

You need to setup your nameservers first.

I recommend you follow this.

Then you need to setup your nameservers.

Login to WHM, and make sure you add "A" records:
    ns1 - your primary server IP server1.domain.com
    ns2 - your DNS IP on ns.domain.com

thanks mate.

Looks like I just forgot the A record

I got the adding a second server to work in a testing lab so didn't have to worry about that one....

I think what I'll do when it comes time to move my primary server is to setup 2 redundant DNS servers in seperate DS thus not having to rely on the primary server for DNS at all.

Doing so would I just add the A record for both NS on said primary server or is that whole notion a bit over board?

The reason why you have server1.domain.com and ns.domain2.com is to have redundancy. However, if these are 2 VPS inside the same server and if the server goes down, it makes no sense at all.

Suggest you to pick the servers on different network / physical locations. As for adding an additional DNS server, as long ns.domain2.com is online, your domains will still resolve even in case your primary, ie.. server1.domain.com is down. That said, the more the number of servers in the cluster, the more redundant it becomes.

If you wish to add another server, just add the third server to the cluster and sync the db from the primary.

-T

server 1 is a dedicated server now, I've upgraded \o/ other server is a dns only vps in a differant DS completely.

I configured everything yesterday and bingo perfect config off the get go, dns resolves as expected even had the DS config rDNS so we're all good.

I still hate DNS setup, waiting a few hours sometimes for propagation is the worst part..... if you've got it wrong.

Within your DNS there is a TTL (Time To Live), this means that you can set the time other names servers will keep your records in their system before they will go and grab updated details if requested.

So if you set your TTL to 10mins (600sec) you will reduce the time for changes to be made.

The caveat on this however is some ISPs set their DNS not to use TTL but to use their own system TTL which might be longer.

Hope this helps.