Under 16's getting hosting accounts.
    Hi.

I'm looking for a paid webhosting account (000webhost just ain't cutting it). I've got my eyes on iPage.

However, I'm under 16; and I'm not certain if this is a problem.

By the looks of their terms and conditions, under 16's can't participate in the affiliate program, which isn't a problem for me. I can't see anything regarding the under 16's signing up for their service.

I do obviously have a valid Visa card.

So, does anyone know for sure if I can get a webhosting account with iPage. I really don't want to get into a legal mess at my age.

I can't see it being a problem.

So long as you pay your invoices on time and don't use the service for anything against their terms of service or the law then they have no reason to know anything more than just your name.

As bad as it may sound, to them you're just another customer. They don't know how old you are and probably don't care to.

Hi Mitch,

We offer free hosting for students, if you are interested feel free to send me a pm
    Robert K.
    █ SpiderWeb Hosting Pty Ltd
    Domains & Hosted Services
    https://spiderhosting.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by mitchfizz05 View Post
    I'm under 16; and I'm not certain if this is a problem.
    I really don't want to get into a legal mess at my age.
    what problems you are anticipating? As per your age there are lots of web2.0 websites that offer participation. Go Ahead Web is for every one.

It's quite common to get parents involved for under-agers, I suspect simply as the legal transaction isn't a transaction if the user is under-age.

To be clear, when you say you're worried about a "legal mess" -- it's not like anyone is getting sued or going to jail, it's more just so the "due process" box is ticked off - just about getting things done the "right way".

Either way, I think you've got nothing to worry about. The worst is that the host might get annoyed and void the transaction and turn off your services; there are ways to protect yourself against that (regular backups offsite, and getting parents involved). TBH, the likelihood of there being any active concern is very, very low -- you'd need to do things that cause their infrastructure to get attacked (ie DDOS, malicious activity etc), or something else outside their terms. If you keep a low profile, most hosts wouldn't know or really care. In fact, some hosts are even happy to see kids showing some initiative and having a go and learning stuff!