Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: web host?

web host?
    Hi All I am looking for a secure webhost for my site archeryfix.com I have been with webcity in Australia for years however my site has been hacked and Webcity tell me there is nothing they can do so all my data is lost and I will have to start again and it was a large site servicing my archery students around the world.
    I don't know much about hosts but I do know I will never use Webcity again.

I hope you can help

AVS Networks
    There are no backups that Webcity can provide?

luckily I just got an email from the guy who moved my site some time back and he has the original site before the latest updates.
    webcity apparently only keep backups a few days so their backup is of the hacked site

Hi CPK Web Services takes daily offsite backups of all hosting accounts on our servers, including email accounts and databases as well as your website files.
    Our hosting services are also fully managed so we upgrade your websites software whenever a new version is released. This significantly reduces the risk of your website getting hacked, as most issues stem from old outdated versions of website software with security issues.
    You can view our web hosting plans at CPK Web Services :: Fully managed web services and read a few reasons why you should host with us at CPK Web Services :: Why us
    Get in touch for more details CPK Web Services :: Contact us
    CPK Web Services
    The one solution
    Get in touch www.cpkws.com.au/contact.php

Servers Australia Pty Ltd Matthew-SAU's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ausie View Post
    Hi All I am looking for a secure webhost for my site archeryfix.com I have been with webcity in Australia for years however my site has been hacked and Webcity tell me there is nothing they can do so all my data is lost and I will have to start again and it was a large site servicing my archery students around the world.

I hope you can help
    Hi Ausie,
    Wow this is no good at all.

I have sent you a Private Message on what Servers Australia can provide.
    Regards Matthew,

Servers Australia
    Phone: +61 2 8115 8800 | sales@serversaustralia.com.au

Dedicated Servers, VPS, Web Hosting | Servers Australia

**Finalist for NSW Business Chamber Excellence in Innovation 2015**
    **Winner of Central Coast Excellence in Innovation 2015**
    ** Winner of Central Coast Excellence in Business 2014**
    ** Winner of the Central Coast Business of The Year 2014**

Just a note for the future -

If your site is large it's absolutely critical that you make and download backups regularly. Even if the provider keeps older backups, they might have problems and most providers don't keep more than a few weeks history (occasionally a month or two, but that's it).

There are backup plugins available for almost every possible CMS you can think of. Additionally there are providers around that will log into your cPanel and make a remote copy of your site for only a few dollars a month.

I hope you can help
    first point is did you share your c-panel details with anyone like web developer? 2nd point is who is your present site hosting company?
    Generally hacking doesn't happening if hosting company is technically correct. hacking is possible only with some loop hole at certain level.
    works at Web design firm Mumbai for internet branding projects.Lomey leads SEO Company associated in Mumbai.

I am surprised your current host refused to help you.
    At iClickAndHost we make backups of the client's websites every day and sometimes even a few times a day. This way we can always roll back a working copy of the website and then we investigate how the website was hacked and secure it by fixing the loophole used by the intruder.
    Also we can send to the customer a saved copy of their website every day to their own Dropbox account which is pretty neat, as one should always have a copy of his website locally.

I think there is a lesson to learn. Keep a backup your self. Most hosting companies provide tools for you to backup your own website data. Their backups are normally disaster recovery. If I was you I would look for a managed service. Part of that managed service would be keeping your CMS i.e Joomla/WordPress/Drupal security up to date. If your website is custom and you are not using a popular CMS then this could be tricky.
    Good luck.

hosting security
    Hi,
    It is very important to take extra care about hosting security. Choosing the hosting provider should be strongly related to web security they can offer.

Best advice yet is to back your site up yourself daily, this includes emails.

Don't trust a hosting provider with your data. Storage and bandwidth cost is negligible compared to the data you loose when something occurs.

Look for a host with a documented data recovery plan, not just an email or webpage explaining the process. A competent professional company's plans will have unique numbers, author, approver, revision and date's to review which will all be administered by a document control system.

thw

I hope you can help
    My perspectives on webcity can be summed up by the most loved saying of one of my local federal members...

Quote Originally Posted by brisdata View Post
    Best advice yet is to back your site up yourself daily, this includes emails.

Don't trust a hosting provider with your data. Storage and bandwidth cost is negligible compared to the data you loose when something occurs.
    This is an excellent point. One should always have an online copy of his own website and website data. This is why we have built in the "Dropbox Backups" feature in our Hepsia Control Panel. This way, the users can opt for a fresh copy of their website, downloaded and saved automatically onto their own Dropbox account every night. This give an extra piece of mind.
    Fast and Reliable Web Hosting in Australia from iCLickAndHost | Why iClickAndHost?
    Australian Web Hosting and Australian VPS Hosting with Free Control Panel, Daily Backups, 24/7 support, free VPN, PHP 5.2 to 5.6, NodeJS, Varnish, Memcached and more.

Quote Originally Posted by iClickAndHost View Post
    This is an excellent point. One should always have an online copy of his own website and website data. This is why we have built in the "Dropbox Backups" feature in our Hepsia Control Panel. This way, the users can opt for a fresh copy of their website, downloaded and saved automatically onto their own Dropbox account every night. This give an extra piece of mind.
    The point here, unfortunately, is not that daily backups weren't being made - they were. The point is more that they needed a backup history so they could go back a week or two to find an unhacked copy of their website.

One way to achieve this simply is to keep a backup or two on the server itself - making sure that they're a few weeks old - most of the backup plugins can be configured to do a weekly backup and retain 3-4 weeks online (either on- or off-server). Another valid method is to do a manual download periodically.

Usually the best way to maintain your website, is to use cPanel's backup option, then download to a local device like a computer.