Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VentraIP taking back .org.au ???
    G'Day Guys

We recently received an email, the beginning of which says

IMPORTANT INFORMATION! DO NOT IGNORE!

Domain Name: XYZ.org.au

auDA is conducting an audit of all org.au domain names registered in the past 5 years from 1 March 2009.

The org.au space is intended to be for non-profit purposes. In recent times, we have received an increasing number of complaints regarding ineligible commercial entities and individuals registering org.au domain names. The purpose of the audit is to check each registration for compliance with the org.au eligibility criteria.

The most common reasons for non-compliance are :

· Domain name is registered to a commercial entity

· Domain name is registered to an individual person

· Domain name is registered to an apparently non-existent entity

· Domain name registration details are incomplete or unclear.

We only have about 10 .org.au domains & I have spoken to a couple of our customers this morning who are pretty angry that their domains are going to be 'Deleted' !!!

Has anyone else received one of these emails ???

TIA

I guess the obvious question is whether your angry clients are actually entitled to a .org.au domain name. If so, no problem, they just provide the details of their organisation and all is well. If not... well, they shouldn't really have got one in the first place.

My post included just one simple question

Has anyone else received one of these emails ???

BTW If the information they provided initially was good enough, then why are they needing to provide it again !!!

I think I've had one or two of these over the past few years. I do recall being asked to provide some more details about an organisation a couple of times, when I had some .org.au names registered through NetVirtue I think.

It's a random audit from auDA. Some of the more dodgy domain name providers (not Ventra or NetVirtue) will let pretty much anything get through without checking. It's probably a bit annoying to have to provide the info again but as long as they are genuinely entitled to have the name there should be no reason for it being "deleted".

Hi ng_au,

We're just following from what auDA have advised us to do. If you believe that you ARE eligible to hold the domain name, all you have to do is let us (or your reseller) know and we can pass that on to auDA for final determination.

In many cases for us, the .org.au has been registered with another registrar and transferred in to us which means we never completed the initial checks on the eligibility. We are very careful with what is put through for .org.au domain names but sometimes what we interpret as being eligible is not what auDA see as being eligible.

The audit is happening across the entire .org.au name space and I believe auDA will be doing it to every .au domain name in due course.
    Cheyne Jonstone
    Executive Chairman
    http://www.ventraip.com.au

G'Day Cheyne

I have done a lot of checking over the past few hours about this & got all my facts lined up

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyne View Post
    We're just following from what auDA have advised us to do.
    Gee that makes you guys sound oh so 'The Victim' !!!

In many cases for us, the .org.au has been registered with another registrar and transferred in to us which means we never completed the initial checks on the eligibility. We are very careful with what is put through for .org.au domain names but sometimes what we interpret as being eligible is not what auDA see as being eligible.
    Absolutely not in these cases I'm 10000000% certain that the VIP system allowed me to register these domains without adding in the correct "Not for profit" ID., because I registered them myself manually, we only have approx. 30 with you guys & it was testing the water after the mess of Click n Go (Distribute.IT) !!!

I have screen shots of the registration process as we were expecting to use you guys as a replacement for Click n Go (Distribute.IT), but after checking your system we went to someone else, I guess I need to tidy up this loose end up now.

I started a transfer into your system today & it is now asking for the correct information, but it definitely was not approx. 3 years ago.

The audit is happening across the entire .org.au name space and I believe auDA will be doing it to every .au domain name in due course.
    Thanks for the head up, this is exactly why I tell customers to stay away from the .au TLD.

Sounds like a great way to sell a domain more than once !!!

Just more of the Oz Tax

G'Day ozfiddler

Quote Originally Posted by ozfiddler View Post
    I had some .org.au names registered through NetVirtue
    Thanks for the heads up about NV, they are going to transfer our domains for 0.00 for 2 years, seems like a good deal for us

Quote Originally Posted by ng_au View Post
    Gee that makes you guys sound oh so 'The Victim' !!!
    I don't think so. I was simply explaining that we are following a process that auDA have begun and will affect all registrars not just us.

Absolutely not in these cases I'm 10000000% certain that the VIP system allowed me to register these domains without adding in the correct "Not for profit" ID., because I registered them myself manually, we only have approx. 30 with you guys & it was testing the water after the mess of Click n Go (Distribute.IT) !!!
    Well I'm 99.99999% sure our guys would not put a .org.au domain name registration without checking it first. In fact, in 2011 I think we were still putting domain names through DistributeIT so it means it would have to have failed both our filter and theirs, both of which are manual.

I have screen shots of the registration process as we were expecting to use you guys as a replacement for Click n Go (Distribute.IT), but after checking your system we went to someone else, I guess I need to tidy up this loose end up now.

I started a transfer into your system today & it is now asking for the correct information, but it definitely was not approx. 3 years ago.
    The order forms are standard WHMCS forms. As far as I am aware we have always asked for the same information for all .au registrations.

Happy to see these screen shots though.

Thanks for the heads up about NV, they are going to transfer our domains for 0.00 for 2 years, seems like a good deal for us
    All .au domain name transfers are free irrespective of who you choose.
    Cheyne Jonstone
    Executive Chairman

G'Day ozfiddler

Actually, I'm no longer with NetVirtue. I had a number of problems with their control panel and a billing issue, so I ended up moving everything to Ventra about a year ago. I've been very happy with the service at Ventra.

Actually, I'm no longer with NetVirtue. I had a number of problems with their control panel and a billing issue, so I ended up moving everything to Ventra about a year ago. I've been very happy with the service at Ventra.
    I'd be interested to hear about any problems with our Control panel or billing procedures. Since launching nvArea, we've had very minimal complaints or problems with it and any problems that were reported were promptly corrected.

Feel free to get in touch at feedback@netvirtue.com.au as I'd be really interested to see where we can improve.
    Net Virtue Premium Hosting Solutions
    Web Hosting | VPS Servers | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Domains |
    http://bgp.he.net/AS132680 Multi-homed Brocade powered network.

P: 1300 885 303
    E: sales@netvirtue.com.au
    W: https://netvirtue.com.au

Hey Cheyne

Well I'm 99.99999% sure our guys would not put a .org.au domain name registration without checking it first.
    So if I understand you correctly, we registered correctly & then hacked into your database & entered incorrect information, mate your signature leads me to believe that you are a manager not a techo so you dont need to prove it beyond all doubt !!!

Happy to see these screen shots though.
    Stay tuned, you may get the chance in the very near future, we have contacted Slater & Gordon (Seen there Ads. on TV have u ???)

G'Day ozfiddler

I would be really interested to hear some more detail ???

So if I understand you correctly, we registered correctly & then hacked into your database & entered incorrect information, mate your signature leads me to believe that you are a manager not a techo so you dont need to prove it beyond all doubt !!!
    What?

It's our job to put through domain name registrations and vet them for policy compliance as best we possibly can. Since the day we accepted our first domain name registration we have always manually checked and verified each .asn.au, .org.au and .id.au because as both a reseller and a registrar it's what you have to do.

If there is any doubt then in most cases we will contact the customer and ask for further information which acts as the warranty that the information being supplied is accurate and follows the published policies which you have agreed to when placing the order for the domain name registration.

Since auDA are questioning your eligibility to hold those .org.au domain names you have two very clear choices:

1. Contact us and let us know why you (or your customer) believe each one of those domain names are eligible and we can pass that information on to auDA for final determination.

2. You (or your customer) were not eligible under published policy at the time of registration and therefore they will be deleted.

It would be like you buying a new car from Holden, getting a speeding ticket, and then going back to Holden and telling them it's their fault because they sold you the car, even though you are the one who broke the law!

"You guys sold me this car, how was I supposed to know there were speed limits?!"

Stay tuned, you may get the chance in the very near future, we have contacted Slater & Gordon (Seen there Ads. on TV have u ???)
    Yes, I have. They have a bunch vari-lite's that are somehow projecting holographic images in mid air when in reality all they can do is project static images from gobos on to a flat surface. But I digress.

I'm sure when you called them and told them about your $9.35 domain names that were going to be deleted due to them not complying with published policy, they rushed out and called their pool builder and told them to have it ready by summer.

*rolls eyes*
    Cheyne Jonstone
    Executive Chairman

Just making the point that this has almost nothing to do with Ventra. auDA gets to make the rules, and in this case they are going through and enforcing them across the board with all registrars. If you do have a complaint, I'm sorry, but you have issue with auDA, not Ventra.

In effect, all registrars of .au domains are simply resellers authorized by auDA. If auDA change the rules, it affects everyone. When you register a domain, you pay Ventra, and in turn Ventra pass nearly all of what you've paid onto auDA to register the domain for you.

If you registered .org.au domains with Ventra without the correct DGR-eligible ABNs, even if it was 4 years ago, ultimately you're responsible to your customers for not knowing how the system worked. Unfortunately, no amount of hysteria on your part will change anything.

And, seriously? Threatening lawyers? You've got to be kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by brianoz View Post
    And, seriously? Threatening lawyers? You've got to be kidding.
    Hey Brian

None of your business what we or our customers do pal & no I'm not kidding, if our customers want to start a class action with S&G its their legal right

If you read carefully they (VentraIP) are talking about checking .com.au ..., but are suggesting thats its auDA, not them !!!

So I have received some advise & general comments

- Interesting that auDA have nothing about an audit of VentraIP, it does mention Godaddy

- We have 3 other Domain Regs eg. tppwholesale.com.au (VentraIP is our smallest approx. 30 domains) that have .org.au & we have not received a letter or an email or even a phone call about any audit of these other regs. - funny that

- The email was not sent from auDA or VentraIP, but from an organisation we have no contract with, pretty gutless sending from another entity

So we are going to let the 3 x .org.au slide, but we are also going to transfer all of the domains to netvirtue.com.au they are going to import all our domains DNS entries as part of the transfers.

I'm thinking that ventraip are going to have a hard time deleting the domains after they have been transferred to NV !!!