Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plesk 12 Master/Slave DNS server configuration
    Hi everyone!

I currently do a bit of web design and host my customers websites.

I have acquired two Plesk 12 servers, the larger of the two is used for hosting and the small one is used for my WHMCS billing system.

VPS#1 --- 1.domain.net.au (Hosting)
    VPS#2 --- 2.domain.net.au (Billing System)

domain.net.au and its DNS is hosted elsewhere.

I currently have BIND installed on VPS#1 performing my DNS functions. I have ns1 & ns2.domain.net.au glue records set up pointing VPS#1 as well as a-records for these two point to the same IP on VPS#1.

I'd like some DNS redundancy in place in case the DNS service on VPS#1 goes down.

I've installed the Slave DNS Manager onto VPS#1 and BIND has been installed on VPS#2.

...however my question is how to enable VPS#2 as a slave DNS server. From what I can gather, this Slave DNS Manager extension in Plesk will perform the sync tasks between master and slave?

Any assistance and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Have a great day/night!

Hi You'll need to have a different server for backup / secondary dns.
    CPK Web Services
    The one solution
    Get in touch www.cpkws.com.au/contact.php

Quote Originally Posted by Chaddy View Post
    Hi You'll need to have a different server for backup / secondary dns.
    Hi Chaddy,

Thank you for your reply. Could you please advise as to why this is the case?

Quote Originally Posted by akust0m View Post
    Hi Chaddy,

Thank you for your reply. Could you please advise as to why this is the case?
    Redundancy normerly you would have DNS running on the main plesk box but have second third and fourth dns servers setup on different networks with different IP ranges so that if one DNS server falls over the system just swiches to the next available server.
    You should be able to get some kind of assistance from your hosting / server provider in regards to this, if your not good with server management they should be able to assist you.
    CPK Web Services
    The one solution

Redundancy normerly you would have DNS running on the main plesk box but have second third and fourth dns servers setup on different networks with different IP ranges so that if one DNS server falls over the system just swiches to the next available server.
    You should be able to get some kind of assistance from your hosting / server provider in regards to this, if your not good with server management they should be able to assist you.
    Hi Chaddy,

Thanks for that. Is it possible to use other name servers (such as my hosts) but "mask" them for branding purposes?

Yes if your server provider offers DNS hosting you can setup your own nameservers using that. YOU just need to create A records pointing to your name servers, well pointing to the IP addresses of the DNS servers anyway.
    Asking your host would be your best bet for that, as the details vary a bit depending on how each host has it setup.
    CPK Web Services
    The one solution

Hi Chaddy,

Thank you for your reply!

Yes if your server provider offers DNS hosting you can setup your own nameservers using that. YOU just need to create A records pointing to your name servers, well pointing to the IP addresses of the DNS servers anyway.
    Asking your host would be your best bet for that, as the details vary a bit depending on how each host has it setup.

That's not how DNS actually works. If one of your nameservers stops responding, it'll result in a DNS failure.
    Net Virtue Premium Hosting Solutions
    Web Hosting | VPS Servers | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Domains |
    http://bgp.he.net/AS132680 Multi-homed Brocade powered network.

P: 1300 885 303
    E: sales@netvirtue.com.au
    W: https://netvirtue.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by NetVirtue View Post
    That's not how DNS actually works. If one of your nameservers stops responding, it'll result in a DNS failure.
    Hi NetVirtue,

Thank you for your reply. In which circumstances will the secondary DNS server kick in?

It works in round-robin between nameservers usually. If you have anycast networking setup or behind a load balancer it can spread to other DNS clusters. However that's usually more advanced than most users actually need.

Yes but the other name servers will still resolve and your site still remains online.
    Providing your DNS is setup properly.
    CPK Web Services
    The one solution

Yes but the other name servers will still resolve and your site still remains online.
    Providing your DNS is setup properly.
    Sure, but can result in 1/3 dns lookups fail (depending how many Nameservers you have). So potentially every third user who has a fresh cache could see your site down.

Sure, but can result in 1/3 dns lookups fail (depending how many Nameservers you have). So potentially every third user who has a fresh cache could see your site down.
    That doesn't happen with a proper DNS cluster setup, my dns was quite broken when I moved server providers but because of the clustering and the redundancy in place I had no downtime what so ever.
    CPK Web Services
    The one solution

It can be difficult to notice due to the way DNS works and caches at the DNS resolver, but unless you have anycast any downtime on a nameserver causes failed DNS lookups. Just the way DNS was built, and clustering over multiple IPs doesn't resolve that problem entirely.

It can be difficult to notice due to the way DNS works and caches at the DNS resolver, but unless you have anycast any downtime on a nameserver causes failed DNS lookups. Just the way DNS was built, and clustering over multiple IPs doesn't resolve that problem entirely.
    We've had Anycast since 2012 in some way shape or form, all the CDN providers we use run it and now we have it setup on the server as well.
    CPK Web Services
    The one solution