Host that can easily scale from shared to VPS or dedicated if need be?
    Howdy folks,

Hope this isn't a FAQ - I had a hunt around and couldn't see anything, plus I guess this stuff changes a lot over time!

I'm starting a venture which will use a stock photography/video script to allow sharing & collaboration/sale of media between professional video editors. It'll be pretty small to start with, and 95% likely to stay that way, so I'll probably be just fine with a shared hosting account. But I know how quickly things can blow up, and I'd like to be positioned to beef up the hosting fairly rapidly just in case that 5% chance occurs

Other factors that are important to greater or lesser degrees:

Australian-based. I'm on satellite internet, and while I have a reasonably healthy data allowance, the inherent latency is horrible, so I'm keen to reduce any additional latency concerns. Also for some reason, while I can get close to my full upload speed to Australian servers, uploads to US servers seem to "pulse" and only average at about 1/4 of my local speeds.

Good support I've been with a very small US-based host for the last few years, and the email support has been exemplary. The main guy seems to have hit on some personal issues lately though, and the standard has slipped a little. That's the risk you take with a one-man operation I guess.

Any suggestions leap out to anyone?

Hi Vocalnick
    How much disk space and bandwidth do you think the site might use as a starting point?
    Also what language is the script written in? eg php Asp.net etc?
    We have a range of hosting plans but they are all Linux based so if the script is PHP based or similar you should be fine.
    We can also migrate your website to a dedicated server or a Virtual Dedicated server if need be down the track and setup load balancing and the like if the need comes around.
    If you like you can contact me directly through the link below to discuss your requirements in more detail.
    Or if you can post the requirements of the script I can suggest a hosting plan that will meet your requirements.
    Or you can view our hosting plans at www.cpkws.com.au/hosting.php also if speed is a major consideration, all of our website hosting plans come with free CDN, Content delivery Network bandwidth which caches your website all over the world bringing your content to users all over the world.
    Last edited by Chaddy; 06-01-2015 at 02:44 PM.
    CPK Web Services
    The one solution
    Get in touch www.cpkws.com.au/contact.php

Hi vocalnick,

We can definitely meet those requirements and can easily scale from Shared -> VPS -> Dedicated server(s) without any issues at all.

We have a true 24/7 support team available even if one of our team members are sick / on annual leave you will still receive a fast response.

Please let us know if we you have any other questions.
    Last edited by NetVirtue; 06-01-2015 at 02:24 PM.
    Net Virtue Premium Hosting Solutions
    Web Hosting | VPS Servers | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Domains |
    http://bgp.he.net/AS132680 Multi-homed Brocade powered network.

P: 1300 885 303
    E: sales@netvirtue.com.au
    W: https://netvirtue.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Chaddy View Post
    Hi Vocalnick
    How much disk space and bandwidth do you think the site might use as a starting point?
    Also what language is the script written in? eg php Asp.net etc?
    Heya,

It's PHP. I'm not allowed to post links as I'm only on post 2, but the script in question is at cmsaccount dot com.

all of our website hosting plans come with free CDN, Content delivery Network bandwidth which caches your website all over the world bringing your content to users all over the world.
    The script allows the use of Amazon S3 or Rackspace which was my intention once I moved out of very low-scale testing. AFAIK submissions are uploaded to the hosting account initially, then a cron script runs at regular intervals to tranfer them to cloud hosting. So the bandwidth requirements aren't immense.

The script also allows the use of FFMPEG to auto-generate thumbnail videos & jpgs from uploaded submissions, which I would like to do, and that's where I fear I might risk over-stretching a shared plan. Any thoughts on that? Also do you (or Net Virtue) have FFMPEG libraries available on your shared plans?

We have FFMPEG installed by default on all servers / plans.
    Net Virtue Premium Hosting Solutions
    Web Hosting | VPS Servers | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Domains |
    http://bgp.he.net/AS132680 Multi-homed Brocade powered network.

P: 1300 885 303
    E: sales@netvirtue.com.au
    W: https://netvirtue.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by vocalnick View Post
    Heya,

It's PHP. I'm not allowed to post links as I'm only on post 2, but the script in question is at cmsaccount dot com.

The script allows the use of Amazon S3 or Rackspace which was my intention once I moved out of very low-scale testing. AFAIK submissions are uploaded to the hosting account initially, then a cron script runs at regular intervals to tranfer them to cloud hosting. So the bandwidth requirements aren't immense.

The script also allows the use of FFMPEG to auto-generate thumbnail videos & jpgs from uploaded submissions, which I would like to do, and that's where I fear I might risk over-stretching a shared plan. Any thoughts on that? Also do you (or Net Virtue) have FFMPEG libraries available on your shared plans?
    Hi Yes we have FFMPEG available on all our hosting plans as well. But what I would suggest is to just upload the video content directly to our CDN storage through the Large Object platform as that is exactly what its designed to do.
    Given your requirements it might be worth dropping an email through to sales@cpkws.com.au so I can take a look at this in more detail, as what your describing can be quite complex to setup and get right.
    We don't just offer web hosting our main offering is fully managed web services, so CPKWS can manage the entire project and get you setup properly so you don't run into those issues where you max out the limits of your shared hosting account and then have users wondering why they can't load the website.
    CPK Web Services
    The one solution
    Get in touch www.cpkws.com.au/contact.php