Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Exclamation Bad experience with Dedicatedservers.net.au
    Recently I signed up with Dedicatedservers.net.au for there highest end vps account, only to run into several problems down the road.

Within hours of receiving my log on credentials, I was attacked, which should not happen for a new customer, with nothing on the IP. After notifying them of the server being down, they informed me that I was being attacked and this was very unusual for a new customer. They seemed to be blaming me for the attack rather then helping investigate. Here is an excerpt of the support ticket "if you expect to receive
    attacks of this size on a regular basis we may not be able to provide you with services"

Moving on. My content is international in nature, and requires global readership. After setting this up, it was unavailable to meet these requirements, being unavailable outside Australia. Another ticket was sent, responding with possible firewall issues. They jumped to the conclusion that my firewall must have been the problem. My firewall was not installed. I was later informed that they were receiving a large attack on their network, which was the cause of this issue. I was then assured that once this was resolved, outside connection would be restored. They said "We believe the attack is large enough to effect our entire network. As soon as it is finally over the connection to the outside will be restored.".

A day later I inquired about the issue as I was still unable to receive international traffic. Their response was "Unfortunately, our Network Security Provider, will be reassessing the issue on Monday, that is the soonest from what I have gathered that they will unblock the IP, as the attacks are still happening against our Network." This was a Sunday, assessment would not occur for at least another 24 hours. I found this strange as the attack seems vital to their services and core network. In my opinion this would be an urgent matter.

Midday Monday, still no response. I request an update, an hour later they respond with "It appears that they opened up international access recently and your server has been the target of an attack against port 8000 so they are definitely targeting you, I would assume if you moved to a different IP address they would just follow where you move it to." I replied asking if they were absolutely certain I was the target of these attacks, as no one would know about the vps. It was not currently mapped to a website. This leads me to believe that the provider may have security issues, they seemed to conclude that the issues were related to the client. I personally do not believe that this is correct, but even if it is, I would like to resolve the issue. After no response into my inquiry, I informed them that I would like to cancel my account as a result of the security problems.

No response. 8 days later. Still no response. Security and network problems. They seemed to be avoiding communication. So i followed up the inquiry once again and finally got a response "We apologize for the lack of contact. I will get someone in touch with you today about the issue." fair enough. I waited approximately 8 hours for a response. nothing. I replied desperately requesting communication. No further response was ever made.

I opened a new ticket, again, desperate for contact with someone. They apologized once again for the delay, and informed me that the cancellation was still in process.

6 days later. no response. By this time you could understand my frustration. I decided to simply request a refund. Surprisingly Communication was amazing! After requesting a refund, their response time was under 10 minutes! replying "As per our terms and conditions which are located at the link below, we do not
    offer refunds on our services." I replied one last time asking for possible solutions on the account. no response.

Thank you dedicatedservers.net.au...

Very bad service, Had serious security and network issues, Horrible communication. Would not recommend them.

That sounds no good at all.
    Was the server managed or unmanaged? if unmanaged you need to install and configure everything yourself, but most providers will assist you during the setup faise some do charge a small extra fee for this though.
    But it sounds like you didn't even have access to the server to install anything?
    Most providers now a days have some kind of DDos protection on their networks, we have a couple of levels as an example, one on the Content Delivery Network and one on the servers network.
    Regards Chad.
    CPK Web Services
    The one solution
    Get in touch www.cpkws.com.au/contact.php

Quote Originally Posted by Chaddy View Post
    That sounds no good at all.
    Was the server managed or unmanaged? if unmanaged you need to install and configure everything yourself, but most providers will assist you during the setup faise some do charge a small extra fee for this though.
    But it sounds like you didn't even have access to the server to install anything?
    Most providers now a days have some kind of DDos protection on their networks, we have a couple of levels as an example, one on the Content Delivery Network and one on the servers network.
    Regards Chad.
    It was unmanaged DDos protection was apparently on as they blocked international traffic to the server. Let me know if you need to know anything else

This site isn't / wasn't gameing related by any chance? as those types of services can be pretty common targets.
    CPK Web Services
    The one solution

This site isn't / wasn't gameing related by any chance? as those types of services can be pretty common targets.
    no not gaming related streaming audio Internet radio station

Their conduct simply baffles me

Quote Originally Posted by Tmm View Post
    no not gaming related streaming audio Internet radio station

Their conduct simply baffles me
    Oh right. We offer Streaming services as a part of the CDN, Content Delivery Network services, www.cpkws.com.au/cdnhosting.php this gives you access to over 50 points of presence worldwide.
    If you want a custom price just drop me a note through the contact form.
    We do offer free CDN bandwidth for hosting clients, but that is mostly for website traffic.
    But as I said i'm happy to do custom pricing on the CDN side of things, the pricing on the website is mostly aimed at clients that need a lot of bandwidth.
    Most providers now a days have redundant links in place so that if one goes down the network just swiches.
    CPK Web Services
    The one solution

Brainstorm
    Oh right. We offer Streaming services as a part of the CDN, Content Delivery Network services, this gives you access to over 50 points of presence worldwide.
    If you want a custom price just drop me a note through the contact form.
    We do offer free CDN bandwidth for hosting clients, but that is mostly for website traffic.
    But as I said i'm happy to do custom pricing on the CDN side of things, the pricing on the website is mostly aimed at clients that need a lot of bandwidth.
    Most providers now a days have redundant links in place so that if one goes down the network just swiches.
    thank you for the info. I will be in touch

Not a problem.
    CPK Web Services
    The one solution

Web hosting talk
    Notified them of this thread still no response

Dedicated Servers Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmm View Post
    Notified them of this thread still no response
    Why should they respond? You have made your statement on this forum and on Whirlpool. The Whirlpool thread was deleted as it was perceived as trolling. On WHT we do not delete threads, but it appears you have just started to try and defame a business to achieve something.

You have never posted before and it appears you are trying to harass them for a refund? Are you 10 years old?

This is a serious forum. If you have a problem please state it with full facts. Starting a thread as per your quote above is childish. Have you read there terms though - Just out of interest? I doubt it though as you would have seen what I just found under their terms section on their site (Section 7):

Refunds – Dedicated Servers does not offer refunds. Please ensure any service(s) are adequate for your needs before ordering. From time to time account credit may be offered, cancellation of your account forfeits any account credit you may have and is not redeemable via any other means.

My 2 Cents.
    *** Dedicated Servers - www.dedicatedservers.net.au ***

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Why should they respond? You have made your statement on this forum and on Whirlpool. The Whirlpool thread was deleted as it was perceived as trolling. On WHT we do not delete threads, but it appears you have just started to try and defame a business to achieve something.

You have never posted before and it appears you are trying to harass them for a refund? Are you 10 years old?

This is a serious forum. If you have a problem please state it with full facts. Starting a thread as per your quote above is childish. Have you read there terms though - Just out of interest? I doubt it though as you would have seen what I just found under their terms section on their site (Section 7):

Refunds Dedicated Servers does not offer refunds. Please ensure any service(s) are adequate for your needs before ordering. From time to time account credit may be offered, cancellation of your account forfeits any account credit you may have and is not redeemable via any other means.

My 2 Cents.
    First of all I take offence to your to the tone of your post I am simply trying to convey my experience with dedicated servers.net.au and their lack of communication. I am well aware that there terms and conditions say no refunds. A refund would be nice but not my ultimate goal the fact that they wouldn't communicate with me for over eight days and still haven't contacted me is very worrying
    on the Whirlpool point it was removed due to the fact that I quoted excerpts from my support requests looking forward to hearing your response. Please note, I am disabled and use speech recognition software which is not always 100% accurate. So I do apologise for any spelling or grammar issues

Dedicated Servers Moderator
    My apologies if my response appeared terse.
    *** Dedicated Servers - www.dedicatedservers.net.au ***

I am still waiting for you to contact me TMM.
    Email sales@cpkws.com.au or use the contact form. i'm not that worried about the DDos side of things as we've got 3 levels of protection against that type of thing.
    We can give clients access to their own private networks so that traffic doesn't even need to pass through the internet itself, it just comes down to budget.
    CPK Web Services
    The one solution

Just to bring this thread back to some general chat, it sounds like the DDoS atttack that was launched against TMM, was a DNS based attack.
    These are pretty straight forward to prevent if you have the right setup in place.
    Using DNS to Launch a DDoS Attack | DDoSAttacks.biz
    CPK Web Services
    The one solution

Just to add a counterpoint, we've been happily using dedicated servers for 3-4 years for dedicated servers, only two real outages in that time (one a few hours from memory, and one a hardware failure which was fixed in reasonable expectation time). I know DS probably don't need backing up publicly, but I just like to feel that a fair perspective is being conveyed.