WHT Australia the Forgotten
    Hi,

Has WHT Australian turned in to the graveyard of the hosting community, years ago there used to be a fair bit of traction, activity, today there is hardly anything to discuss.

Amazing how a couple of years can make a difference in a forums lifecycle, where should we go from here?
    Dedigeeks Pty Ltd • sales [at] dedigeeks.com
    █ Litespeed • CloudLinux • Softaculous • Installatron • R1Soft • cPanelฎ
    SSD VPS • Reliable & Sustainable • Instant Setup • SSD Drives

I don't think thats true. People looking for Australian based services are still looking at the threads

Just need to start converting the traffic into active users.

Registered Provider
    To me, there is no community here. Pretty much the only people here are the pen-pushing sales reps trying to push sales, but every now and again, we might get the odd, occasional lost person, looking for Australian based hosting, which would rarely result in a sale.

Someone once said that 50% of all of their advertising was a waste, but they could never figure out which 50%. Most people, they promote and advertise in multiple places, and for the customers that do signup with them, they cannot say for certain where customers heard about them from.

I did not do this test here, on this forum. However, I launched a test on a bigger forum, with a more active community, where I have a better (if thats even possible), community rating, and after nearly 12 months, found that zero sales came from that forum. IMHO, on this forum, there is no point in promoting products, or services at this stage. It already feels like 100 ducks fighting over a single crumb, and I really do not know how many crumbs there are each month that come on here.

Perhaps wht needs to do a bit of custom coding. Such as after you post your ad in the services section.... you have to do 10 non-spam posts in other sections of the forum before you can re-post your services. This could help see people with questions get it solved faster. This could be crucial to attracting, and keeping members longer. And essential to bringing back the concept that this place is the go-to place for Australian hosting related questions, and services.

But of course, pen pushing sales reps wont like that idea. I mean, come on, those pens wont push themselves right?
    Today is international no sig day

Agreed Matt.

I have over 10,000 posts on Webhostingtalk.com, it is far more active and you will find there are probably more Australian's on that forum then there is here - figures!

I am not here to necessarily advertise my services, products, the enjoyment that that comes with talking with different people can be amazing and it would be awesome if there Australian community was like this. For some reason, the Australian community is quite abrupt, abusive, and recently thought to myself why keep a server that I have active with ServInt, why not move it across in to an external service with an Australian provider outside of my own existing services.

Mistake, the service has a horrible checkout system and the owner of the service was rude in a return e-mail to me. I was annoyed of course and acted like a normal customer as you do especially when you're signing up for a service, trust me I make no exceptions to the rule - annoyed (not aggressive, no profanity, just frustrated) as the service did not work as intended on the signup.

The return reply wasn't so pleasant, rather than being nice about the situation the owner was more saying to me take the service or leave it and we understand you wanted a deeper discount but unfortunately you've to pay a price for it.

The way it came across in the email was not a way I'd want any business to reply to me - this is why I never used to promote in the Australian market as the consumers can be quite aggressive and very nit-picky about practically everything.

None the less the community I did roam many years ago and there was some activity maybe not as much as there is now but in saying that it still sticks around. The whole "Random Question" thing needs to go, not sure why the community needs it when Webhostingtalk could counter measure this like they do on WHT itself. This process just becomes a mere annoyance and one reason why I am not a frequent poster.

If the site was counter intuitive like Whirlpool where it is simple and fast without these questions as random ones it would be so much easier.

I am hoping one day this will change for this community though it's sad most of the traffic tends to run off to the .com variant and that we can't hold decent conversations here as there is no one to even have them with other than yourself or Exigent that I can see advertises the most on this forum.
    Dedigeeks Pty Ltd • sales [at] dedigeeks.com
    █ Litespeed • CloudLinux • Softaculous • Installatron • R1Soft • cPanelฎ
    SSD VPS • Reliable & Sustainable • Instant Setup • SSD Drives

I'm new and I'm interested in this topic. Thank you!

It seems to be a spiraling effect. As less content is being generated here the harder it becomes to retain visitors. It will be really hard to get this community growing again. I'm especially sad since I just joined recently. I hope a positive spiraling effect will start soon. In order for that to happen, we mustn't abandon this forum and we must keep being active!

Its seems more & more forums are slowly dying novadays, only the biggest ones are still strong but will see what gonna happen in future

Quote Originally Posted by VPSnet View Post
    Its seems more & more forums are slowly dying novadays, only the biggest ones are still strong but will see what gonna happen in future
    I also noted the same, the smaller forums are slowing down, even the bigger are not generating content like they were generating years ago. May be people do not have time or they do not need hosting. may be hosting industry is dying for small and giant players are multiplying their clients.

Arrow I have seen dead forums too
    I do take parts in activities on different forums and I have seen worse. The dead forums soon becomes play grounds for spammers and then after a while, the forums closes down. Not sure about Australian forums but I have seen it on Indonesian and some of .uk forums

Traditional forums have largely given way to things like reddit and quora. I can only speak for myself, but I'd imagine that's a combination of conversational tools (upvote/downvote) and advertising rules (you can't respond to a quora question just to sig spam with a garbage question.)